Not native to the Finger Lakes Region
A 3-4' tall shrub with fragrant pinkish-purple flowers in early spring.
Light: sun to part shade Moisture and Soil: moist, neutral or alkaline soil
Seed Treatment and Storage: a non-native garden escapee; not recommended for propagation.
The Cherokee used daphne as a diaphoretic, stimulant, and treatment for venereal disease.
Daphne is among the oldest of plants recognized as poisonous. All parts of the plant are highly toxic thanks to the presence of mezereinic acid anhydride, with the attractive drupe ("berries") and bark most often implicated in poisoning. The leaves cause blisters when rubbed on the skin, while ingestion of plant parts produces a burning sensation and corrosion of the oral membranes. Victims may also experience vomitation, diarrhea, stupor, weakness, and convulsions. Just a few berries can kill a child.
Mundy Wildflower Garden, Coy Glen